PSC Support Research Strategy
PSC Support is a charity dedicated to helping people with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, a chronic liver disease which can lead to the need for liver transplantation.
To help people affected by Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis.
- provides information and support to those affected by PSC.
- works with partners to promote awareness of PSC, current research and the need for organ donation.
supports PSC-related medical practitioners and researchers by:
- giving PSC patients access to the latest relevant medical information;
- promoting patient participation in research studies and clinical trials;
- funding research into the causes and treatment of PSC.
- develops effective partnerships between PSC Support and medical practitioners, researchers, policy makers and people affected by PSC.
There is currently no known curative treatment, or treatment that is known to slow the progression of PSC. Our priorities are the search for a curative treatment, treatment which slows the progression of PSC and treatment that alleviates the symptoms and psychological effects of PSC and improves PSC patients’ quality of life.
PSC Support intends to support:
- The establishment of Biobanking and the development of bio-markers
- Aetiology and identification of subpopulations of PSC patients
- Outcomes including liver transplantation
- Clinical trials in PSC
Social research to investigate
- Quality of life
- Transition to adult services
- Compliance and adherence
How we intend to fund research
- PSC Support will fund high quality research related to PSC and will expect investigators to disseminate the results of their research to both the general public and the scientific community.
- PSC Support encourages multi-centre, collaborative research
- PSC Support will encourage projects that link in to other funding streams and national research priorities.
- Applications can include funding for pilot studies, funding equipment (but not IT equipment), and funding social and nursing research.
- Travel and internal audit grants will not normally be awarded except in exceptional circumstances.
- Funds will not be awarded retrospectively.
- Work must be based in the UK.
PSC Support Funding Mechanism
- The frequency and value of funds available for the Grant(s) will be determined each financial year, and are listed under information for applicants.
- Applicants may apply for grants up to the available amount.
- PSC Support reserves the right to offer funds to more than one applicant per round up to and including the amount of available Grant funds.
PSC Support (registered charity number 1175427). Principal office: 3 Gary O’Donnell Drive, Didcot, OX11 6BT.
Our Research Priorities are also influenced by Patients' 'unanswered questions' and views on living with PSC.