Routine Care and Monitoring of PSC
What should routine care look like?
PSC is a complex condition and ideally, your care should be managed by someone with an interest in and experience of PSC. While there is no curative treatment, your doctor can monitor your condition and help manage your symptoms using current clinical practice guidelines for cholestatic liver diseases.
Once PSC is diagnosed, your doctor will discuss with you and assess the following:
- Cancer risk
- Osteoporosis assessment (bone density)
- Symptoms (such as itch, pain and fatigue)
- Malabsorption of fat-soluble vitamins (in the case of more advanced PSC)
- IBD screening
- Clinical trials eligibility
- Liver and bile ducts (extent of damage)